The history of Poundon House

Poundon House was built in 1908 by Col. John Heyward-Lonsdale when he married a Miss Parker Bowles who lived locally. The house is built of sandstone from the quarry at Eydon near Banbury and the stone was hauled up from the Marsh Gibbon train station by teams of horses.

In 1939 the house was requisitioned for the war by the Foreign and Colonial Office. During the war the house played a part of the huge effort to break the Engima Code and was also involved in Intelligence gathering and implementation with SOE (Special Operations Executive) who were a precursor to MI6, and many people were stationed here by the government.  This code had to be broken anew each day and the number of people working on the project nationwide was over 10,000.  Although the Germans considered the code unbreakable they had not taken into account what the inventive English could achieve with intelligence and tremendous hard work.  Co-incidentally our great aunt worked on the project at Bletchley Park.  After the war the house continued to be used for the gathering of intelligence and also as a training academy for radio operators during the Cold War.

The Foreign and Colonial Office relinquished their lease around 1977, when the Roscoes attempted to buy it but were out bid by a family called Rodgers.   It then by chance came back on the market 2 years later and the Roscoes were successful the second time around, and they bought it in 1979.  It has been a family home to them ever since.  Esmond and Natalie (siblings) now manage the events that take place at the house, with a good team to support them, to help clients realise the event and occasion they are looking for.

Wedding Venue Open Day

Join us on Sunday 5th January, 11am - 3pm and have a look around at what we can offer!